Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Something coming out the back end of the dog.

I knew their was trouble when I was told there was something coming out the back end of the dog. The nurses asked me to see if I could help get the dog out of the van. I walked outside to find the dog inside the van, already with a muzzle on, but nobody was able to pull the dog out, I could just see some mass hanging out, but there was no way the dog was going to let me near it. So I went back inside the surgery and got some sedation. The dog did not mind me giving him an injection in his neck, but there was no way he was going to let me get near his tail. We waited 15 minutes and then finally we where able to bring the dog inside to examine. I was able to lift the tail to find a large dark mass, bleeding and ulcerated. I also examined the dog to find he had a very large fluid filled stomach and was now quite skinny. The owners thought the dog was getting fat and so they where cutting back his ration. Unfortunately the mass at the tail was mostly likely an aggressive tumour that had spread to the abdomen. They had noticed a small lump several years ago but did nothing about it. Now it was most likely too late and I had to recommend that euthanasia was the best option. The owners where very upset, but agreed that this was the best course of action. They paid and left with out waiting for the euthanasia. I always let people decide what they fill most comfortable with, But I actually like when they stay, it seems better for the dog. We all felt quite drained of emotion afterward. The moral must be to always check out lumps with your vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment